As you might have noticed, my last post was about five months ago. Time flew by very quickly; this time holiday is almost come to its end. I just came back from India after a month in there. With the intent to bring back some good photographs home, my journey to India turned to a so-called business trip. For some reasons, I have not been doing much shooting lately.

Well, India was the toughest place for me after all. A quote "Always expect the unexpected" is aptly good for anyone who wants to go there. I went to some places in southern and northern India and I found that the major problems in most areas are cleanliness and poverty. With the approximately 1.2 billion populations, not everyone is equally fortunate. More than 300 million Indians are still prey to hunger, illiteracy and disease, and 51 per cent of India's children are still undernourished.





I spent most of the time in the southern part of India and I liked the people more; they are more decent and polite. I wished to explore more about places and people in the northern side but I could not make it for some reasons. Perhaps next time I should spend more time in northern India, I believe it does have many interesting things to be discovered and photographed.



In many ways the last part of my trip was filled with frustration. Frustration that I had so little time. I was having some problems with the visa and the result was I could not travel back on the day it was scheduled. That was not the frustration I meant. I just frustrated with the attitude of some Indians particularly governmental people. The procedures to get the exit permission were intricate and horrible; it was not what I expected from a country which has one of the highest gross domestic product (GDP) growth rates in the world and an array of recent achievements in technology, industry and entrepreneurship. One of the main causes to this problem is surely corruption; lower quality services is one of the impacts of corruption.

Positively thinking, this problem somehow will be solved soon as now many Indians are trying to take these things seriously. They want to see the fruits of development reach the poorest of the poor, and wipe the tears from the eyes of every man, woman and child, as Mahatma Gandhi had dreamt. If this thing is successfully realized, the effects are not only good for Indians, but also the world. Indeed, a better India holds the key to a better world.



Lastly, I wish happy fasting to all Muslims in the world. May this Ramadhan be the best Ramadhan ever in our lifetime and all our good deeds will be blessed by Allah. Hasbunallah wani'mal wakil.